Perhaps the most obvious benefit of finding a business mentor is that you can learn from their previous mistakes and successes. Your mentor does not need to have experience in your particular industry, though it helps if they do. You are maximizing your opportunities to leverage key relationships by having a mentor.
The three most important areas to look for a mentor are:
- Ask around in forums and online communities
- Connect with potential mentors on LinkedIn
- Form a Mastermind Group
Mentors encourage and enable another person’s professional or personal development. A mentor can help focus their efforts by setting goals and giving feedback. As a result, companies that want to build employees’ skills often create mentoring programs.
What does a mentor do in business? The primary role of a mentor in business is that they give guidance to their less-experienced colleagues. Business mentoring programs can surely give an employee the much needed help and experience in order to succeed in the company and progress in their career.
A mentor may share with a mentee (or protege) information about his or her own career path, as well as provide guidance, motivation, emotional support, and role modeling. A mentor may help with exploring careers, setting goals, developing contacts, and identifying resources.
The key lessons to having a mentor are:
- Don’t be afraid of failure. Mentoring has taught us that failure is a natural part of the entrepreneurial process, and that each failure builds upon future success.
- Be true to your values. Being honest with yourself and with those around you, is important to any business relationship.
- You’re never too experienced for a mentor. There is no age limit on who should have a mentor or who can mentor you.
- Use your network. Your network is perhaps the best place to find a mentor for your business.
The three ‘A’s of mentorship are:
- Active listening
When you work with your mentor you should experience these three A’s working in tandem. If your mentor is professional and well trained you will feel like you’re in safe hands and gain value for your business.
For more information on finding the right mentor, contact: https://classycommunications.net/
Follow Classy Communications on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/ClassyPRLV