The purpose of team building activities is to motivate your people to work together, to develop their strengths, and to address any weaknesses. Any team building exercise should encourage collaboration rather than competition.
Teamwork is “the process of working collaboratively with a group of people in order to achieve a goal. “Team-building is the ability to identify and motivate individual employees to form a team that stays together, works together, and achieves together.”
To ensure the team runs as smoothly as possible, and goals are hit, it’s in everyone’s best interest to implement the five stages of team development:
- Forming: when the members within the team first come together to meet
- Storming: the most critical but also the most difficult to go through. It can be riddled with conflict as the individual personalities and work styles clash within the team.
- Norming: team members have figured out how to work together and there’s no more conflict or internal competitions lingering. There’s also a sense of bonding between the team and is more familiar with each other’s personalities and sense of humor.
- Performing: this one tends to be where there is the most cohesive work environment, people are happy and excited, and team performance is at an all-time high.
- Adjourning: Last but not least is the adjourning stage. Sometimes also called the termination, mourning, or ending stage
Teamwork helps solve problems. Collaboration within a group can help solve difficult problems. Brainstorming is a good opportunity for the team to exchange ideas and come up with creative ways of doing things. By working together, teams can find the solutions that work best.
There are five roles in an effective team: Leader, Creative Director, Facilitator, Coach and a Member. All of these are essential components of a team, but they need not be exclusive. A leader can act as a creative director and a coach at different times.
Five examples of teamwork skills are:
- Communication – The ability to communicate in a clear, efficient way is a critical teamwork skill
- Responsibility – Showing you are responsible for your own actions
- Honesty – Being honest with the team on all endeavors
- Active listening – Showing that you listen, also shows that you care
- Empathy – Listening, honesty, responsibility & communication are all signs that you care about your team
The advantages of team building is gaining trust with organization, employees. Getting to know your colleagues better personally helps to develop trust. This is a major benefit of team building activities as people in the workplace will know each other’s capabilities and interests, leading to better collaboration with tasks and improved morale.
For more information on team building, contact: https://classycommunications.net/
Follow Classy Communications on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/ClassyPRLV